Answer Man: Passport for transgender people

Dear Answer Man, I’ve heard that the State Department has a new policy about passports for people who are in “gender transition.” I’m not quite sure what that means. Can you tell me?

I can try. In the good old days, if you were a transgender person, you had to undergo surgery before the State Department would approve a change of gender on your passport. As of Thursday, that’s no longer true. You just need a doctor’s certification that you’ve undergone “appropriate clinical treatment” for gender transition.