Each week, the Magazine chronicles interesting and sometimes downright unexpected facts from the news, through its strand 10 things we didn’t know last week. Here, to round off the year, are some of the best from the past 12 months.
1. Pele has always hated his nickname, which he says sounds like “baby-talk in Portuguese”.
2. There are 200 million blogs which are no longer being updated, say technology analysts.
3. Urban birds have developed a short, fast “rap style” of singing, different from their rural counterparts.
4. Bristol is the least anti-social place in England, says the National Audit Office.
5. Standard-sized condoms are too big for most Indian men.