FenwayNews.blogspot.com – By Alison Barnet
Dorothy and Harold Diamond of Mattapan were newlyweds in 1947 when they opened their first off-price millinery store in Cambridge, which soon led to stores in Uphams Corner, Quincy, Malden, and Winter Street downtown—eleven locations in all. Dorothy’s Hat Fashions opened in front of the Christian Science Church in 1960, relocating up the block at 190 Mass. Ave. when the church complex was redesigned in the early ’70s. At the time, Mass. Ave. was largely black, and hats, pocketbooks and wigs were in demand.